Careers at NIFCO
CAD Technician – Computer Aided Design
$41,500 - $54,000 Salary
CAD TechnicianA great opportunity for the right individual to join a well-established, industry leading, fire protection contracting company. The position will work on unique projects ranging from all different types of industries and sizes We protect anything from small retail spaces to large industrial power plants. The position requires a self - motivated, internally driven individual with a strong attention to details and exemplary communication skills. CAD Technician Job Overview
- The Technician will be responsible for operating the computer-aided design (AutoSprink) system and other peripheral equipment at the company's Lincoln office. Using the CAD system technician will take the designs given to them from other construction trades and map out an integrated fire sprinkler system. Employing job site surveying the technician will use their less tech driven skills to aide them in the set up of the background drawings. This set up includes placing all pipe routing & sizing; head placement & styles per NFPA Codes; planning, assigning, and directing work; coordination with other trades; addressing complaints and resolving problems.The position will be required to manage all aspects of the drawings (design, procurement, fabrication materials, coordination with other trades, validation, etc). Finally, the technician must consider safety at all time while in the office or on a project site.
- NIFCO truly excels at providing the "on the job" training experience necessary to those with CAD experience but who may be new to the fire sprinkler industry. NIFCO finds this training not only helpful to the company as a whole but as individuals in learning the ins & outs of the trade and improving their overall future within the company.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty & responsibility satisfactorily after training is complete.
- Reviews all job documents to determine critical dimensions of design.
- Confers with other trade staff to determine design modifications and enters editing information into computer.
- Calculates figures to convert design dimensions to resizing dimensions specified for subsequent production processes.
- Keys in specified information to produce graphic representation of design for review and approval by management.
- Enters specified information into computer to generate approved design.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Problem solve issues and make decisions.
- Work effectively on multiple concurrent projects.
- Meet timelines.
- Aide the fire sprinkler designer in collecting contract payments & other contract documents.
- Display strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Accountability of decisions.
- The qualifications listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability needed for this position.
- Education and/or Experience - Associate's degree or equivalent training in Design & Drafting Technology (or currently in the process of receiving degree).
- Communication – Experience reading and interpreting documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions. Experience writing routine reports and correspondence. Must have a willingness to learn how to read construction documents such as blue prints and how to effectively coordinate and communicate with other trades, journeymen, and clients.
- Industry knowledge – Must be willing to gain knowledge of industry codes, local codes, OHSA standards and rules, and labor to cost ratios.
- Math - ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Requires the ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret graphs. Ability and knowledge to calculate hydraulic flow rate and pressures a plus.
- Computer - Good working knowledge of ACAD / (Autosprink Design software and BIM a plus); Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word & Outlook.
- Physical – Must be able to frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and color vision. The position wmay require navigation of ladders, stairs, lifts, and tight spaces on construction sites.
- The work environment will consist of an office setting for design, project management, and administrative tasks, but will also require visits to job sites to validate measurements and building plans as well as project oversight. Some physical activities on the job sites will be required.